You've goat to be kidding me

I survived another November in Norway. November is by far my least favorite month here. It's grey, dark, wet, cold, all things uncomfortable. At this time I'm beginning to feel stir crazy. I feel like a fish swimming around and around a fishbowl. You get the point, November is not my friend!

By December the Christmas lights are out combating the darkness, I'm in the Christmas spirit and only listen to Christmas songs. Don't anyone dare change my P7 Klem radio station in the car because we are FALALALALAing the entire drive! I love Christmas in Norway! We're up north so the environment is already Christmas-y, the Norwegians are set on making everything koselig (cozy) like their lives depend on it, there is julemarked (Christmas market) on the weekends, we bake cookies all month long and partake in Christmas activities. 

I love Christmas more so now than when I was a kid. Partially because I now have my own children and seeing how fun it is for them makes it fun for me as well. Also, partially because growing up with divorced parents meant there was always someone missing from Christmas. Now, I have my own family and togetherness is way at the top of the list for me. I think togetherness is valued for nearly everyone though!

I only noticed these straw goats a few years ago. At first observation I thought what a strange decoration, but when you think about it, few Christmas decorations, if any, make sense. This little creature - the Yule Goat or halmbukk is a decorative piece that can be found inside and outside the home in Norway near Christmas. It's made of straw, formed into a goat shape and wrapped with red ribbon. Some folks have them as ornaments and hang them from the tree.


For those interested in Norse mythology, it is thought the Yule goat is a symbol for Thor's carriage drawn by two goats. 

My own little Yule goat in the back. :-) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations