My Old Kentucky Home


Homesickness is a bit unique, isn't it? It comes and goes. There's really nothing to take it away other than "home" itself. You can distract yourself, keep yourself busy, but you know homesickness is there. Possibly even more so during holidays. 

Johnny Cash version of My Old Kentucky Home aka the state song  <---- You can listen to this while reading my post if you want to get an extra feel for Kentucky. :-) 

It's been over 6 months since my move to Norway and I'm beginning to feel the pangs of homesickness. It's not out of control or anything, but it's well... there. I miss being with family and going to dinner or meeting friends. I miss tickling my little sister, having long talks with my grandparents, visiting and gossiping with my mother or going out for ice cream with my dad. I miss rural Kentucky scenery. I like it here in Norway. I really like it, but really I miss the sights, sounds, smells... so many things about my dear old Kentucky home.
Of course it's not healthy to think so much about your old country after moving or obsess about missing it and I don't, but I do have my good and bad days.

I've always had a teensy weensy bit of interest in basketball, but I've now started following basketball news as basketball season has started. College basketball is extremely popular in Kentucky.

I am going back home in March. That has been decided though our trip isn't booked yet. I have so many notes on my phone surrounding this upcoming trip and I'm incredibly excited to go back. Of course Kentucky will be seen in a whole new light and different perspective when I go back. There were a lot of things about Kentucky I just took for granted while living there. Like our crazy, but generally warm weather. The fact that cornbread is a food staple and eaten with everything, but it's not even heard of here. Farms, horses, cows, corn, all the beautiful rural scenery nearly everywhere. If there's anything I regret during this move, I would have taken more time, more pictures and enjoyed Kentucky a little more. The great thing about going back is I know I will.

Old barns are everywhere. I have old Kentucky barn pictures in our living room.

Horses everywhere! 

Churchill Downs!!! 

And a jockey. 

Taking a ride down the Ohio River on a steamboat. 

Here is the Belle of Louisville in the Ohio River which seperates Kentucky and Indiana.
In and near the Ft. Knox area you can find many tanks where you can stop and have a look.

Corn fields! 

Green River 

A common Kentucky sight - old barns! 

Occasionally Kentucky gets a lot of snow.
(via mom) 

And occasionally tornadoes as well...
(via a cousin) 

I think there are many misconceptions about Kentucky and some stereotypes to boot. In my opinion, Kentucky is very underrated compared to some of the other states. It's really a nice, laid back place and I'm so happy to call it home.

My best advice to those who are homesick is to just think of how lucky we are having two homes. Not many people get to have two homes, but expatriates usually have two or more places they have called home, so that just makes us extra fortunate.

It's good to distract yourself or keep yourself busy. If I'm feeling homesick-ish, I'll try to make something for the person I miss the most at the time. Knit a scarf, make a Christmas ornament or send the person a card you've made yourself. Go out and make videos and take pictures of the new place you live in so you can send to family. It's nice to let your family and friends back in home number 1 know you're thinking of them.

Talk to family. Skype is a wonderful, wonderful means of communication and they also offer low prices on their calling to phones. That would be a great purchase if you have a friend or relative without access to Skype.

Don't dwell on the differences between your old and new home. It's best to focus on how similar things are than different.

Just to sport your state pride, here's a site where you can order "home" shirts!

Comments

H. Bratset said…
I love your pictures!! Just to make you feel better, it's been raining here in KY for 3 days straight, and it's very messy. It doesn't feel very much like Christmas time right now.

Your positive attitude is awesome and I like how you focus on finding the similarities instead of the differences. I hope I remember that when I move to Norway!

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations