Pant

Recently I've seen a video being shared by Americans across Facebook with exclamations such as, "We should have this here!" and "How awesome!" It's a video about pant.

Now, what is pant? For those of you who don't know, when we go to a store and purchase something in a can or plastic bottle, we also have to pay a small fee for the can and plastic bottle. This is the pant. When we recycle we get the pant back. It's a fantastic incentive to get people to recycle.

I may be a little wacky about this, but I never walk past a bottle or can without picking it up. First of all, I don't understand people who litter. What seriously goes through a person's head who thinks, "I don't need this. It's in the way. Oh here's a good spot on the ground to throw my trash." Secondly, if I had money in my pocket would I just throw it on the ground? The answer is no. Even for the 2 years I walked my daughter around the neighborhood in her stroller to *try* to get her to take a nap, I would stop to pick up bottles and cans. Occasionally the bottom of the stroller would have 3-4 beer cans in it that I picked up, but luckily no one ever called child protective services on me.

Perhaps one day this will catch on in America to promote recycling and reusing plastic bottles and aluminum cans.

Even Pia likes to help. 


This is what the pant machine looks like. You can choose to donate, enter a lottery
or you can receive a ticket to be reimbursed for your pant disposal. 
This is what the reimbursement ticket looks like. You can
present this to the cashier and have the amount taken off the total of your groceries.
 

Comments

Unknown said…
Actually, there are many states in the United States who have been doing this for decades. These states are listed on Soda bottles and I think cans as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations