Norwegian Parenting Perspective from an American

Just last week this interview was featured in Norwegian news articles after it became popular on the blog A Cup of Jo. I find it interesting from both a cultural and personal perspective after reading what this American woman from Cincinnati has to say about parenting in Norway.

Last month when in the US, my husband, Arild pointed out to me many times the difference between parenting in Norway and the US. Though many things about both countries are similar, there is clearly a difference when it comes to parenting. Arild would tell me during his observations in the US that parenting is done the same way in Norway and it's "done by the books" whereas, in the US it seems to be vastly individual and parents just raise their children the way they see fit. Of course I've been quite aware of some of the typical parenting since living here like children only eating candy on Saturdays, children's bedtimes being at 7 and being outdoors at daycare. I haven't really focused on just how different parenting is between the two countries.

Personally, being an expat and preparing for the upcoming birth of our child has taken much more preparation than if I were living in the States. I've had to read and research and learn so many new things about how children are raised, considering what is best for Pia and even baby equipment! With this being our first pregnancy and first baby, it's already a bit overwhelming learning all the things we should expect within pregnancy, child birth and child care, but being still relatively new in a different country adds another twist to it and I feel like I have to double the preparation for Pia's arrival.

For example, yesterday my husband was asking our ultrasound technician about me getting a pelvic measurement due to my height (149 cm or 4'10") just so we can rule out the need for C-section as shorter women have smaller bones. I really, really don't want a C-section and just the thought of being cut on disturbs me, so I was just wanting to put that out of my mind which is why Arild was asking. The ultrasound technician replied with how this shouldn't be a problem, Norway doesn't really like to do C-sections or pelvic measurements as a precaution and how when it comes to child birth in the US, Americans do things the easiest way, which isn't necessarily the safest. She went on to explain how Norway prefers to do things the safest way, even if it may not be easy or comfortable.

So yes, this whole pregnancy experience has been not only full of anxiety and excitement, but one huge crash course in Norwegian culture. It also has me thinking of how we'll raise Pia. Of course, I obviously have a deep connection to America and Pia is a Norwegian-American, so the plan is to combine both bits of culture... but how? We're still trying to figure that one out. I also have to bear in mind Pia as she is growing up in Norway and establishing her childhood in Norway, she will feel more Norwegian. So, I have to keep in mind it isn't what I want, but what I feel is best for her. I do admire the routine and "by the books" method of parenting the Norwegians pride themselves on, but we'll also find ways to incorporate American culture in her upbringing.

Anyways, here is the interview from the mother from Cincinnati. Enjoy!

10 Surprising Things About Parenting In Norway

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations