Feeling 16 Again

Friday last week I took my driver's test. It really wasn't as bad as I thought and I have had an American driver's license for 8 years, so I felt quite prepared. I felt extra prepared since in the previous months my husband would criticize my driving until I fully understood the Norwegian driving rules -particularly the roundabouts and yielding from the right traffic rules. Of course paying for a few driver's lessons were an extra help as the instructor pointed out my strong and weak points when driving and told me everything they look for on the test. :-)

Even though the whole driver's test cost roughly $731 total - including the driver's lessons I paid for, it was still MUCH MUCH cheaper than it would have been if I had waited to take it. Plus, had I waited I would have had more tests to take such as driving theory and "glattkjører" or slick driving. I think it should be STRONGLY encouraged for new coming Americans in Norway to take their driver's test within the first year of living here. It's cheaper and you'd make it easier on yourself by only taking the actual driver's test.


I posted last fall about learning to drive a manual, but that never happened for me for 2 reasons.

 1) I struggled with it. Terribly. Something must seriously be wrong with my capability to multitask. It just never happened.

2) We had to buy a new car - a station wagon. In Norway probably the most popular car type you see is a station wagon. Babies here require a lot of stuff! I call our stroller "the baby tank" because Norwegian strollers are so much bigger than American ones. My husband and I tested trying to put a friend's stroller in the trunk of our old car and only half the stroller would fit. We decided considering our daughter needed a car seat and a stroller, we wouldn't have room for both in the car. So, we bought a new one. If you're an American car shopping and a Norwegian who realized after spending time in the U.S. he *LOVES* automatic transmission, then that answer to the car shopping problem is easily solved. :-) 

Anyways, it's over now! I have my license! *Major sigh of relief* 

Comments

kp said…
can i ask what your teacher told you that they look for? taking my test this week and trying to prepare myself. i know the rules of the road and all that, just need to try not to fall back on old habits i've picked up over the years.
Evelyn Sand said…
Sure I can try to help you out all I can! My driving instructor told me the main things they look for during the test are your speed, knowledge of road signs, courtesy to pedestrians, correct yielding, checking your mirrors and most importantly, making the instructor sitting next to you feel comfortable. :-) I hope I didn't answer your question too late!!! Good luck on your test!!!
Vic E said…
I was told I had to get my license within the first 6 months when I did mine, I showed up here a bit before you did I think, Feb of '12, but it was a piece of cake really so I was glad I got it out of the way so early. I took two driving courses, and actually the driving school pushed a third one on me right before I took the test, just so they could make some extra money I think, I was doing pretty good already. But yeah, the guy who administered the test was a very elderly fellow, about 65 years old or so, didn't speak very good English, so it was a lot of pointing and noises from both of us. :D The only thing I got marked down on was when I pulled out of a side road I apparently accelerated too fast for their liking. They reason they say it was a mark is that the person who was just pulling up to leave a grocery store just down the road didn't have a chance to get out before I went by. It was a priority road, and the guy was not leaving a street but a grocery store, I have all the right of ways and really did nothing wrong. I think it was just something he used so he could at least put something down on the testing paper or else mine would have been perfect! :D
Vic E said…
One thing I feel it is important to add to this post for everyone's knowledge... Your American driver's license is still valid even though Statens Vegvesen probably will keep it when you get your Norwegian one. So the next time you go home to visit be sure to get another license at the local DMV, just file as lost and they will get you a new one. I renewed my American one last summer and now I have my Alaskan and my Norwegian license. It might not really be that big of a deal, but I find it easier to use my American ID when I use my American credit cards as I travel around Europe and back home in summertime.

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations