Winter

Earlier in the winter.

And here we are just a few days ago. 


I don't know about y'all, but I'm pretty sick of winter. I know, I know, not much sympathy for this transplanted American in Norway who coincidentally hates snow. I chose to move here to this winter wonderland after all. Our first snowfall was in November, but it melted for a bit, snowed again, melted, snowed again and again and again. At this point we have mountains of snow with no spring in sight. Only these mountains of snow are now caked in exhaust pollution. To top everything off it has also been a pretty horrible winter with lots of sickness to boot. So I'm fed up with winter. It has been a bit of a special winter as there is usually not nearly this much snow. Or so I'm told. 

I was remarkably okay with the beginning of winter and kept chanting to myself my new control-freak mantra, "If you can't change it, embrace it." I was out in the snow building snowmen, sledding, having snowball fights and what not. I was doing just fine until about 2 weeks ago and now I feel suffocated and like I'm stuck in a fishbowl - no corners and the same scenery around every turn. As of now I'm done with philosophy, mantras and trying to find fuzzy feelings. I just want sunlight, warmth and grass.

I don't share the same fond memories of snow and winter as many Norwegians do. For me there were no hyttetur (cabin trip) or ski trips, it wasn't something I grew up with. I'm willing to try out a hyttetur. I'm willing to go skiing. I'm willing to integrate myself, but there's no guarantee I will enjoy it.

To stay optimistic, I'm planning my outdoor summer projects like planting rhubarb, adding more berry bushes, extending the flower garden. I love working outside in my garden and improving the aesthetics of the house. That's where I'm in my element. While I can't get my hands in the dirt now, I'm using this time to read about plants and expand my knowledge.

This winter has been rough on me, as I'm certain it has been for others as well. Thanks for listening to my rant.



Comments

Unknown said…
I'm sick of it too, even though we haven't had as much snow as you blessed people. Lol
Jono said…
That is why a lot of people around here (northeastern Minnesota) head fr Arizona, Costa Rica, Mexico, etc. That seems to get them through the long meltdown of late winter and early Spring.
Anonymous said…
Evelyn, I came across your blog while working on a country report on Norway for my job. I'm an editor for CultureGrams and we are looking for someone to review our Norway report for accuracy. I sent you an email with more details if you or someone you know there might be interested. I am also from Kentucky--I live in Louisville. Last week, we had 6 inches of snow (a snowstorm in Louisville!) Tomorrow it will be almost 80 degrees outside. It's crazy.

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations