Before departure

2 days left until departure and I decided for my initial blog entry I should share my point of view on Norway and the image I have of the place in my head. I'm sure after visiting there and seeing my new home for myself the mental image I have will change. I guess I could also use this time to share any worries, concerns and excitement I have as well! :-)

In the reply to Arild's first e-mail, I talked a bit about Kentucky and asked, “I don't know much about Norway. What's it like there?” Now, I could probably write a book (or blog?) about it. What I'm imagining is based on books, pictures, talking to Norwegians as well as American ex-expatriates and watching videos from Americans who have lived or visited there. So my impression is this: it's a long country so the temperatures vary, but for the most part the winters are harsh, long and cold. More so than in Kentucky. The people of Norway generally have a quiet politeness to them, some may view this as cold and distant, some may view this as shy and reserved and some may think this is rudeness. Maybe I'm a little naïve here, but I have this idealistic image of Norwegians being genuinely nice and rather innocent people. Many view Norwegians as very kind and  generous people once their bubble is burst. I think I have joked with Arild many times that Norwegians are like a cult of peaceful aliens descended from vikings that have somehow gone from smashing rocks and invading villages and kidnapping women to being environment friendly, peace and gender equality loving people. When I arrive there I imagine snow of course, but I think the air quality will be cleaner and crisper and the skies bluer. I can't wait to see the trees! Trees have always been one of my favorite things to look at during any trip I've been on. I have always loved noticing the difference in trees when traveling state to state. I definitely imagine a lot of greenery and tall pine trees as well as a lot of untouched forestry. One prominent feature of Scandinavia that I notice as well as everyone else is the abundance of blonde people. Aside from height, I think I'll blend in quite well, until I talk that is. Another thing I'm imagining is a very relaxed environment. I'm assuming many Norwegians are relaxed and content and  are happy people. I definitely think I'll like the Norwegian social culture much much better than American, but each one in my perspective has its pros and cons. For example the biggest downfall I've been told about Norway is how expensive everything is. Although they earn more money than Americans generally, the cost of living is more expensive. I'm 100% positive I'll fall in love with the country. This is my pre-view of Norge before visiting there myself and later living there. I'm very ready to embrace Norway and its culture, weather, way of life with open arms.

 I am anxious about this trip. This is my first time flying by myself. I'm mostly concerned about getting lost in the airport or having the emotional exhaustion of being in a crowded public place, but I do look forward to that warm welcoming hug at the end of this trip. The excitement over being reunited with him again far outweighs any worry or concern I have. :-) One concern I have would be what do I do if someone talks to me? Do I just say, “Oh sorry, I'm an American.” or do I say in my broken Norwegian, “Jeg snakker litt norsk. Jeg kommer fra Amerika.” (I speak a little Norwegian. I come from America)??? I'm unsure what to do in that situation, but I'll figure it out. Language barriers are minimal for English speaking people and from what I've read and heard, English speaking people have it easiest when learning Norwegian. Actually the biggest and most common complaint about experienced culture shock I've heard from Americans other than it being expensive there would be having to adjust to not eating Mexican food everyday. :-)

 I can't express how excited I am though! I will experience many firsts within the next several hours. First time flying by myself, first time flying to New York, first time going abroad, first time taking a step in Europe, first time visiting my new home, first time meeting in-laws. So many firsts!I will live the rest of my life here. I will live in Norway and I will die in Norway and I will (hopefully) start a family one day and watch my children grow up in this country. I'm certain I'll enjoy the entire trip, but mostly, I'm quite sure my favorite part of this trip will be snuggling on the couch in sweatpants in my new home watching movies and sipping on hot cocoa. :-) 

Comments

Abbas H said…
Welcome!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations