Accents

I've often times hide my accent when I talk to other Norwegians and other people here in Norway. It's become such a huge habit of mine lately after someone saying to me, "Well, I was expecting you to talk like George W. Bush!" that I realized I've hid my accent so much (and I don't sound like George W. Bush!!!).

The reason for me hiding it is because when I did talk without masking that long drawn out southern accent, people would ask me what I said or what I was talking about and I soon pinpointed it not to fluency in English, but just the way I said things. When first meeting even my husband asked me what I was saying at times. After repeating the same word several times I finally began to catch on to why he couldn't understand me. He couldn't understand what I meant with words like "semi", "iron", "oil", "shy" and many other words with an "i" or a "y" somewhere in them. Once I had a cousin ask Arild if he's tried boiled peanuts, but she pronounced it as "boooold" peanuts. He had no idea what she said.

I hate feeling like I might be losing a part of myself, so I've been bombarding myself with videos of  Kentucky accents. I've even tried to think in the accent, but that doesn't bode too well when I've been trying to make myself think in Norwegian and my largest mistake I'm making in Norwegian now is sounding "too American" when I speak.

Of course my "accent anxiety" lessens when I'm on the phone with family or friends, but I'm still concerned about this.

When I was searching the other day for videos on Kentucky accents, I came across this video which surprisingly is an accent study which was done in the county in Kentucky I grew up in!

Kentucky Accent
KY, OH and TX accents

Comments

Unknown said…

>This is an informative post review. I am so pleased to get this post article. I was looking forward to get such a post which is very helpful to us. A big thank for posting this article in this website. Keep it up.
essential home accents

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations