Snow Cream

When I was a kid almost every winter my mom would make snow cream. It's like ice cream, but made with snow. However, I was always told to never use the first snowfall when making snow cream because it's supposed to be filled with the most pollutants and toxins. Whether there's truth to that or not, I don't know. So, I'd have to wait for the second snowfall before my mom would make snow cream. And of course you never use discolored or yellow snow!!!

When I moved here to Norway, I figured this would be the land of snow cream. Norway has a lot of snow, right? So a country with a lot of snow and snow cream should go hand in hand, right? WRONG! I've asked so many people about snow cream since I've moved here and no one has even heard of it! Instead I've been told from several people they were told by their parents as children they shouldn't eat the snow because there are worms in it and those worms will grow in their stomachs! As naive and gullible as I am I believed it, but had to google just in case! I found no evidence of this other than some bizarre ice worm scientists found in Alaska, but even that seemed like a rare thing.

So snow cream is safe and here's a recipe!

What you need:
- 2 large bowls (one for catching snow, another for mixing ingredients)
- 1 cup sugar (or 236 ml if you want a metric measurement)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 2 cups of milk (473 ml in metric)
- 1 egg (optional)

1) Place a bowl outside to collect fallen snow.
2) Mix sugar, vanilla, milk and egg in bowl.
3) Slowly add in snow and mix with either hand mixer or wisk.
4) It's ready to eat or you could put it in the freezer for a bit if it's become too melted.

I wouldn't recommend leaving it in the freezer too long or else it will soon get that weird freezer taste and ain't nobody got time for that! <---- apologies on the "ain't nobody got time for that quote, my husband just BEGGED me to add that in! *sigh* :-)

And in case anyone needs to be updated on the "ain't nobody got time for that." quote, meet Sweet Brown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations