Pancakes and pea soup

I love food. There is one thing I can promise you and that is if you're looking for a blog about dieting and fitness, well, you are at the WRONG place.

Usually after spending some time with Norwegians I come back home and start eating like them too. After trips to Denmark with my hubs and his parents, I come back home and eat a bunch of bread. Open-faced sandwiches with butter all day long until I'm absolutely tired of it. Speaking of which, bread or brød. Brød. Brød. Brød. Norway eats A LOT of bread!

Being stubborn in my American ways, I will eat a Norwegian pancake, which is more like a crepe compared to the fluffy, buttery pancakes in the U.S., but I usually eat them "the American way" with maple syrup and butter. Occasionally I'll give in and eat my pancakes "the Norwegian way" by mixing sour cream with jam to place on my pancake though.

Disclaimer: Staged photo! Our table never looks this nice and organized.
It always has tiny smudgy hand prints all over.
Looks can be very deceiving. 
I was introduced to pancakes and pea soup by my in-laws. I tried pea soup for the first time a few months ago and it was strange at first, but I've grown to like it. Their family tradition when their sons were growing up was to serve pancakes every Saturday. As the story goes, my husband and brothers' friends were a bit jealous they were served pancakes for their Saturday dinner. Maybe because the other kids had to go home to bread? Who wants brød when you could have PANCAKES! Not sure how it was in the 80s and 90s when my husband was growing up, but today it's typisk norsk to just serve pizza and tacos on weekends.

I decided to serve my little family pancakes and pea soup this evening. It was the first pancake and pea soup I've made. I can't make pancakes the Norwegian style so they were store bought as was the pea soup. Because I ran out of maple syrup, I had to eat mine the Norwegian way with strawberry jam. Even with me conforming to Norwegian standards of pancake eating, it was very good and even nicer to sit down with my tiny family for dinner.



Comments

Vicman said…
I have learned to not mind the thin pankakers. Not as good as fluffy Amerikansk, but still pretty darn good with just a pat of butter and pancake syrup, Aunt Jemima, or Mrs Butterworths! (usually whatever flavor I find at the import shop the month before)
Vicman said…
Oh, and I also found American pancake mix at Nordby Shopping Center in Sweden not too long ago, Mississippi Belle brand. It is pretty darn good, glad i bought 3 boxes worth!
Anonymous said…
I tried American pancakes and maple syrup while studying in the US, it was not a hit. Reminded me more of 'svele' than pancakes and they absorbed the syrup like swamps and the resulting experience was not great.
However, I just love Norwegian pancakes (or french crepes) with maple syrup. And bacon. And maybe some sliced bananas.
HaakonLøtveit said…
A decent pancake recipe (scale it down though!) is this:

6 liters of milk
30 (medium size) eggs
2.4 kg flour
700g sugar

Stir sugar and eggs together first. Add the flower (add in a little bit of the milk if it gets too dry), and stir into a paste. This will make your muscles hurt if you do the big recipe and you're not used to it.
Then add milk little by little. This way you avoid lumps.

This is a western recipe, and we don't eat pancakes with pea-soup. (Heathens and easterners do.) We do like them with bacon though.

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations