Expatriate Voting

While there are political issues in America (and I feel a much deeper attachment to America than Norway) like healthcare, economy and unemployment, women's issues (though this has been a huge debate throughout the entire campaign, neither of our opponents even mentioned it in this last debate) and many other concerns, I'm NOT going to talk about my political views or anything of the sort because I think that either makes people like you a little less or a little more and really, I'd like people to just like me for what's beyond the person I vote for.

And although here on Norway time our presidential debates don't come on the television until 3 in the morning, I just go to this website the morning after rather than confuse myself with listening to each party's exaggerations.... Fact Check!

With our upcoming election I wanted to exercise my right to vote. What I had to do was send in an absentee ballot request to the county clerk's office of the previous city I lived in, await approval and once I got an approval via email I was sent instructions and papers to print out and send in my vote. As long as absent vote is collected by election day then it will be counted.

Seemed simple enough, I just had to place my vote in one envelope and seal it in another envelope along with a signed sheet of paper saying this is my absentee ballot. I had to write "absentee ballot" on the outside of the envelope along with some information like which voting district I belong to and send it in the mail. 

So, I voted yesterday. I'm not sure how much expatriates votes really count. I've been looking online to see statistics, but almost always they include everyone living abroad - including our military, so I'm still unclear on the results from just expatriates only. 

So here goes nothing! Whether my vote helped or even matters at all, perhaps we'll find out on November 6th.

Me against Donald Trump! 
On a more lighthearted note, my husband is also interested in American politics and presidents and what not, so he's been playing a game about political campaigning. So last night when I asked him what he was doing, he told me, "Making you president of the United States." Apparently he really was.... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations