Knitting

Winter is well on its way. For the first time in nine long dark, dreary, cold, foggy, rainy, gloomy days we've had sunshine. :-) I've been preparing for this winter, so on nice days I try to take advantage of, like today. I went on a walk to embrace the sunlight.


With it getting colder, you see many Norwegians looking very, well, Norwegian in their knitted clothing they sport so well. I've recently taken up knitting as a new hobby. Every time I go to a friend's house when we're gathered around and talking, they will bring out their knitting and knit while talking. It almost seems socially awkward to sit without knitting. Personally, I never thought I would ever enjoy anything like that because I've always thought of knitting as way too feminine and old-fashioned for my taste, but it turns out I like it - or I just like scarves.

When I first moved here, Arild and I walked around a park and walked into this building which also had a kiosk (tiny cafeteria) attached where we found this lady as seen below knitting away and selling mittens, socks and other knitted garments.
An elderly lady knitting. 
Anyways, knitting is incredibly popular here in Norway at least among people of my generation (20-35 year olds) and older generations (60 plus), so I thought I'd give it a try. Something completely recognizable and Norwegian - or Scandinavian for that matter is the typical woolen knitted sweater as seen below.

(via exviking.net) 

The first thing I made I really don't know what it is, but it turned out terrible.

Unnamed knitting disaster. 
I'm currently working on a scarf though and maybe, hopefully working my way up to making mittens or a blanket.

Not terrible like the one above, but not great either! :-) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations