Syttende Mai

This past Friday was a big day for Norway. It was the 17th of May or in other words the National Day where Norway gained its independence from Denmark 199 years ago by making their own constitution. Today it's celebrated with parades of bunad-wearing school children, marching bands, eating cake, ice cream, waffles and hot dogs all day.

Yep, this pretty much explains it!
From: http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/17%20mai
I was very excited to be here to finally celebrate my first 17th of May in Norway! We went to the city center in time to watch the children's parade and left right as the Russ were beginning their parade. Ate ice cream, then went to my husband's old elementary school where we thought there would be a local parade. Instead there was no parade, so we ate cake. Afterwards we went and ate more ice cream and hot dogs. That sums up our 17. mai! We were also bombarded by a couple of sugar crazed 9-10 year olds who were wondering if we were Russ. Apparently Russ give out Russ cards (basically just a card with the student's picture and some of their personal quotes on it) to younger children who collect them because they look up to the older students. Anyways, it gave me a sense of hope in my recent extreme frustration with learning the language as I was able to carry on a conversation with a kid. :-)

I know there's been a recent political debate about the use of foreign flags for 17. mai. I felt a little uneasy about holding another country's flag (though I live here) and not equaling that with my own national flag. I didn't want to offend anyone or come off as rude or arrogant either. I asked some friends for advice and they all suggested I should just do what I want to do and they didn't see a problem with it. One good friend of mine who is from Bosnia told me a lot of Bosnians will wear their own national clothing to 17. mai festivals or they will wear a pin of the Bosnian flag alongside celebrating with a Norwegian flag. So that's what I did. I carried a tiny Norwegian and a tiny American flag with me that day! :-)

The beginning of the parade.

The marching band. 

Together with the hubs. 


Stopping for cake. 

Russ gathering. 

1st ice cream stop!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations