Down with the sickness (the perks and downfall of being sick in Norway)

I'm feeling a little nostalgic today after listening to some music my husband had on MTV Rocks. It takes me back about 10 or more years, hence the title of a Disturbed song as my blog post title. (It's now sometimes embarrassing to admit to some of my former music taste.)

Usually I feel indestructible and very healthy. I've now been sick 3 times in 2 months. I'm pretty sure I haven't helped matters any because I hate being sick and I really make a terrible sick person. I just want to deny it as long as possible and keep going, which in turn probably makes me sick longer as I just won't take a break. This makes my 5th day of possible flu, though I am feeling better. Even though I was feeling pretty cruddy last week, I was thinking 2 things. How much it is good I'm in Norway and I felt like this and how much I wish I were in America feeling like this. It's a lovely torn feeling.

One day at the end of last week I was feeling somewhat better and I finally woke up with some energy. I kept thinking of all my contagious germs being everywhere and my husband and daughter were going to catch whatever I have. So I cleaned the house from top to bottom. I wiped the counters, loaded the dishwasher, put dishes away, scrubbed the table, swept the floors, steam mopped the floors and then I realized I didn't feel so great anymore and was totally out of breath. All the while Arild was telling me to sit down. Relax. Go to bed. Rest. I refused to listen and only thought, Where are Clorox wipes when you need them???? Where is the Chloroseptic throat spray, Tylenol cold and flu, Vick's shower tablets, Puffs Plus, Campbell's chicken noodle soup, etc. when you need it? If I were in the States I would have gotten my $10 flu vaccine at Kroger, Walmart, etc.

And so with that, I have been adding to my never ending "What to buy in America" shopping list.

On the otherhand, I've been thinking of how great it is to be in Norway while being down with the flu. No, there's no huge buffet of over the counter medications so you can take home a cocktail of over the counter comforts. The pharmacy has what it has on display, otherwise you need a prescription. If you're not a "high risk" patient, a flu shot will cost quite a bit out of pocket. And chlorox wipes, or disinfecting cleaning wipes, well, I haven't seen anything here so far, but if anyone else has please let me know where I can find some. (I have recently discovered they can be ordered from vitacost.com)

Had I been in the workforce in Norway, I wouldn't be welcome at work when I was sick and I would be encouraged to stay home. Generally, one working in Norway can take several days off work with pay while sick and without a doctor's note at that. This can be done several times a year if necessary. The benefits of Norwegian workforce and an affordable universal healthcare make it more comforting and reassuring when we get down with the occasional sickness.

There's not a worry about having to push yourself to go to work while sick for fear of not getting paid while you're sick or missing too many days. I've been there and had to work while sick and I realize many Americans have to do this. It's incredibly sad when you think about it.

To prepare myself for my family's upcoming inevitable sicknesses (as Pia is starting barnehage/daycare in the autumn and we all know kids are germ factories), I'm loading up on some American comforts during our next trip.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'd say let go of your need for medicines, especially for something like the flu. You'll usually find that you're better off with letting the body rest, and following the signals you get early on, if you feel you're brewing on a cold.

It's scientifically proven that patients attitude is just as important, maybe more so than medical treatment, for a good recovery.

If you don't believe it, here's a link to help convince you:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps4pRPYJWOo

:)

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations