Care packages and Interesting Observations

A few days ago I sold my collection of books to a used bookstore. Eh, I didn't mind. Everything is going digital anyways and I love my kobo reader, so I'll start my book collection there.Walking around the bookstore I found myself wandering to the language section where some guy was blocking the area I wanted to look. He started talking to me and asking if I was a language buff, I said "No, but I have no choice but to learn Norwegian." He looked a bit confused and asked, "Why?" So I explained my fiance is a Norwegian and I'm moving to Norway. He congratulated me and I'm now wondering if there are people that learn foreign languages as a hobby. I'm sure there are.

Well, I ended up picking up a Norwegian pocket phrasebook (for $2!!!), so I've been getting more confidence and with that I've been reading to Arild some of the silliest phrases I can find in my very broken Norwegian. We have a lot of fun with this lately and I'm finally feeling more at ease speaking out loud. I will tell him something like, "Jeg er sjøsyk." I am seasick.

Or I will tell him, "Vær så snill og bytt olje." Please change the oil.

 "Hvem kan reparere dette høreapparatet?" Who can fix this hearing aid?

"Jeg ønsker å se en amerikansk doktor." I wish to see an American doctor.

And my favorite:  "I have lost my glasses." Jeg har mistet brillene.

I'm loving Arild's enthusiasm these days. Not only do I have a new Visa card and a new phone number ready to go, but he also bought Miss Stella a jungle gym and he's very ready to get whatever possible out of the way now. As far as my part in this moving process, I have to call on measuring tables for the reception and call the court house on what documentation Arild has to have for a marriage license. I'm also preparing to sell the larger things I own. It's not much. A coffee table, a TV, my car. The rest can be given away or donated.

As I've been thinking and rethinking and triple thinking and well, you get the point...
I've decided "care packages" MIGHT be a must. Although Norway does have Reese's cups, THANKFULLY!!! Nothing quite compares to this little treat us spoiled Americans are offered at any retail store when Easter is approaching. Reese's peanut butter eggs!
A whole lotta YUM! 

My favorite Weight Watchers meal! 
Okay, so I CAN find an
alternative with this! Just
crush Oreos into vanilla
yogurt! They DO have Oreos! 
I've also been taking pictures of things I'll miss (aside from family of course!) I'm not sure what it says when most of my pictures are of food, but that's what I have so far! :-)

Comments

Unknown said…
Just chiming in to say, yes, I am learning Norwegian out of no necessity, just for fun... and a kind of vague intention to move there in the future for no reason.

I read your blog, amongst other expat blogs, to learn more about the culture through American eyes. Thanks for writing it!
Evelyn Sand said…
Thanks for finding an interest and reading my blog! Norway is truly an amazing place from what I've seen myself. Reading expats blogs are a great way to get a general idea of perspective, but I believe it's more of an individual response whether someone will thrive or fail in another environment. I try to stay within a leveled, central view on Norwegian culture. I can't go there and expect someone else's experiences. I have to experience it myself. I think that's the best way to put yourself in the situation of embracing another culture. Just research facts, view other's responses, but go in with a blank slate before making judgements. :-) Thanks again for enjoying my blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations