Being an Immigrant

First of all, I have really taken for granted how easy and simple it is being an American immigrant compared to some others. Before coming to Norway, Arild told me, "An American in Norway is almost like a Canadian in America." I thought he was for lack of better English, full of crap. I'm really starting to talk more to some of my fellow classmates and learn more about them and after speaking with them, I now know Arild is completely right about that. Though for language sake, let's just say French-Canadian!

Being an American in Norway we have it easy compared to others and for that we should darn well better be grateful! Our education is valid. We don't need a visa. We can drive on an American license for 3 months, but after our application is approved we don't have to pay for the driver's training, just the final test, so long as it's done within a year. We can apply for residency after arriving to Norway rather than before arriving. We are also Westerners so society is similar. We're fluent in English - which comes in handy not only in getting by, but also learning the language as it's very similar. The only disadvantage we really have is being so far away from our home country.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Norway from other immigrants. Anything from weather complaints (which isn't a big deal because we all complain about that!) to complaints of Norwegian society being so different to them. However, some of the complaints have been very interesting to me because I never even have thought of some of the things other immigrants have to worry about like, "I think my name sounds too foreign to get a job here" or "I had to leave one child with my mother in my home country, but in a year he can come live here with me."  Hearing hardships like this from other immigrants really makes me feel so spoiled and extremely guilty when my major complaints are things like, "Jeez, why can't I find Laffy Taffy!?" (My recent complaints about this have been so severe my husband found a Norwegian candy site and e-mailed them under my name requesting Laffy Taffy, Butterfinger and other great American candy.)

I love being in a class where not only I learn the language and learn it in a fast pace, but I get to speak with other people and hear what it's really like to be an immigrant. These immigrants are the brave ones - not us Westerners!

Comments

there have very determinant from post how easy and simple it is being an American immigrant compared to some others. it had very surprised to come their in Norway. thanks for sharing better post.

work pass application Singapore | S Pass application Singapore
I can tell you for sure no, being a Singaporean doesn't make it any easier to settle down with a foreign spouse, unless we have a baby, but having a baby is also much more expensive for a foreigner, and again, being a Singaporean also doesn't help, sometimes I will feel that being a Singaporean male is more trouble than privilege

Migration Service Consultancy | Permanent Resident Application Singapore

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations