A Trip to Bergen

I've been curious about the western coast of Norway and wanted to see it and with my father-in-law giving us a pair of plane tickets he won, we went. So we got on a tiny propeller plane and went to Bergen.

The city was beautiful. It's filled with history, old well-preserved buildings, cobblestone streets and surrounded by 7 sister mountains.

There was even a wedding at this church. 





I began to wonder what it would be like for an expatriate living in Bergen and I came up with two things. Since at least down town Bergen is more of a tourist attraction, I can see how someone living there would be more comfortable speaking English and possibly be hindered in learning Norwegian. Of course Norwegians speak English as well, but I can understand when it's common to speak English especially in a place like Bergen how that may slow down learning Norwegian. Number 2 - the rain. I can completely understand how this may affect someone's mood. Especially with it raining all the time. I, myself am trying to get used to all this summer rain in Skien, but apparently it's rainier in Bergen.

 A benefit for an expatriate living in Bergen  is there are apparently many expatriates living there. If you were to contact someone living in Bergen you could find a friend, or a support group for expatriates.

During our stay there, we walked around the city a bit, took the Fløibanen up the mountain side and seen some great views, and we went to the aquarium.


Fløibanen. 



Another view of the pier. 

We were able to watch sea lion feeding and training. 



Penguin feeding time. 

Bergen is a beautiful city and for the most part was what I expected, but it was smaller than what I had imagined and was more historical than I first thought.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations