Language Classes

Earlier last week language classes began. The night before I felt like I was about to start first grade all over again. I had everything prepared for the upcoming day, my clothes laid out on my dresser, I was reciting the Norwegian alphabet, words, phrases, whatever in my head. I even told my husband, "I am determined to make a friend!" It was exciting anticipating the upcoming day.

 The first day was a bit overwhelming as only Norwegian is spoken. Really that's a good thing as it immerses you in the language and I am far too dependent on English (and good body language) to get by. It's also considerate of other students in the class as some speak fluent English, others broken English and some very little to no English at all. For those people living in Norway knowing very little Norwegian or English, I couldn't begin to imagine what it is like for them being in Norway or how overwhelming living here may be.

Before going into class I was in hopes of if not finding another American, someone whose native language is English so perhaps if needed I could seek that person for help. I figured it would be a good thing to find another native English speaker so then we could find out what issues we have with Norwegian. However, I am the only American in the class. I'm also the only native English speaker, which is fine. So far I've been able to meet and briefly talk to a variety of different people from different backgrounds crammed into one class.

Thus far, the content of the class is just review for me and I have learned a few new words since being in the class. But the best part is being in an interactive class and having to speak Norwegian with others. It's really not so bad. It will take a lot of concentration and a lot of hard work, but really it's not so bad. And the best part - once I learn the language and I'm using it, I can't unlearn it! So in the big scheme of things, this really isn't a big deal.

Since language classes have began and I'm taking them during the day, I have to ride public transportation. Other than the bright yellow school bus which is apparently an American symbol, I've never been on public transportation - unless a plane counts.

A picture of Arild and his dad posing by a school bus in Kentucky. 


 Riding the bus in itself really is an extremely simple task. However, the day before class started Arild and I got on the bus together so he could show me the correct bus stops and where to go and I kept practicing saying "to billetter" (which is "two tickets" in English) for that trip. So the next day, getting on the bus to go home I began to think about the amount of money I was handed back after paying for my bus ticket. I still don't really have too great of a concept of Norwegian kroner, especially if I'm using cash. So I counted my money when I got home and realized I was short on money. I looked at the receipt and realized I paid for 2 tickets, so I'm sure after my previous day of reciting "to billetter" all day that is what I said when I got on the bus alone. Oh well, live, laugh and learn, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations