Kragerø, Norway

Usually on our lazy Sundays, the husband and I will go to a small coastal town. We've been randomizing lately so we can visit all the nearby coastal towns. We only live about 20 minutes from the coast which is absolutely great! Some people may not understand my excitement for these trips and that's okay, but I'm more properly used to just seeing farm land as that's what the majority of Kentucky consists of. Farm land and coal mines in the Appalachian mountains on the eastern end.

There is no coast in Kentucky. It's surrounded by borders to Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana, West Virginia,  Missouri and Illinois. If you see any body of water in Kentucky, it's probably a pond, a river or a lake. Anytime I've been able to see a coastline and look at the ocean has been on trips to either South Carolina or Florida - and I know many people who have never even seen the natural beauty of a coastline.

A few weeks ago I went to Kragerø, Norway. I like to research these towns a bit before going so I can get more of an idea of the place. What I found out is Kragerø was a favorite coastal town of Edvard Munch. So that in itself is interesting already.

Edvard Munch was the Norwegian man who painted The Scream.

And so we went to Kragerø. Another lovely coastal town! We walked around, sat on a bridge and enjoyed the little river which ran through the town and ate ice cream (with chocolate sprinkles of course!)

Very old and well-preserved streets. 

This was the river which ran into the city, but opened out to the sea. 





Apologies in advance if you're reading this and find this is your door! I just liked it, I liked
the color of it and thought to myself, "I want a blue door on our future house." 

Eating ice cream!!! 

A nice fountain in the middle of the city. The husband and I thought this town resembled
a miniature Norwegian version of Nice, France. It has many ice cream shops and cafes and there are
statues and fountains around the city. 

An ATM with play on names with Johnny Cash. Clever name for an ATM.



As we were leaving. 
                  Kragerø was nice, but it still never compares to my favorite coastal town of Langesund!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations