Norwegian Disney Character Names


I'm a huge Disney fan. Who isn't? Everyone loves Disney or has at some point in time. For generations people have been growing up with Disney classics and some new coming Disney films. If you're ever in a pit of awkward silence in a conversation with someone of a different generation Disney is usually a great topic to bring up as anyone living generally knows and enjoys  the subject.

Occasionally my husband and I will face some confusion when I bring up talking about a Disney character or I'll be minding my own business and singing a Disney song to myself, my husband will ask, "I've heard that before, where's that song from?" and that's where the confusion begins.... I'll give him the name of the Disney movie, or a character and he'll say, "Hæ!?!" It didn't take us long to figure out names are sometimes different in English and Norwegian when it comes to Disney characters.

Because Donald Duck is so popular in Scandinavia I'll start with him!

English                                                       Norwegian        
                                       
Donald Duck                                             Donald Duck
Daisy Duck                                               Dolly Duck
Hewy, Dewy, Lewy                                  Ole, Dole, Doffen
Uncle Scrooge                                          Skrue McDuck
Mickey Mouse                                          Mikke Mus
Minnie Mouse                                           Minni Mus
Pluto                                                         Pluto
Goofy                                                       Langbein (translated in English it's Longbone)
Sleeping Beauty (Aurora)                          Tornerose
Ariel                                                         Ariel  (The Little Mermaid is Danish story, the name is the same)
Belle                                                         Belle
Chip n' Dale                                             Snipp og Snapp
Dumbo                                                     Dumbo
Simba                                                       Simba
Jiminy Crickett                                          Benjamin Timmy Gresshoppe
Lady                                                         Lady
Tramp                                                       Landstrykeren
Pinocchio                                                  Pinocchio
Winnie-the-Pooh                                      Ole Brumm
Eeyore                                                     Tussi
Tigger                                                       Tigergut
Piglet                                                        Nasse Nøff
Cinderella                                                 Askepott (Translated to English, it's Ashpot)
Aladdin                                                     Aladdin
Snow White                                              Snø Hvit





Comments

Unknown said…
Hi! My husband is from Norway and we live in Lexington, KY so I thought it really fun to find your blog! He loved Donald Duck comics as a kid as did a lot of Norwegians I guess, but did you know the creator lives in Louisville KY?? Anyway, I enjoy reading about your adventures and we are probably moving to Norway in 3 years or less, so it's helpful too! Anyway, "hi" from KY!
Evelyn Sand said…
Oh my goodness! Hello! So nice to see someone from Kentucky stopping by my blog! Oh yes, Don Rosa is a Kentuckian, so it's great Scandinavia is popularized by a lesser known "Kentucky export!" I lived in between Lexington and Louisville before I moved to Norway! :-) Thanks for reading my blog! I hope you find useful info here! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations