Napping Outside!

Oh there is so much to learn about living in another country. Right when I think I have most things figured out, something else comes along and surprises the living daylights out of me.

I was at my friend, Eirin's house today when she told me she had to bundle up her baby so she could sleep outside. At first I didn't pay too much attention until she began to literally bundle up her baby in thick clothing and that's when what she said dawned on me and I said, "HUH?" She began to laugh at me and asked, "You don't do that in America, do you?" She went on to explain babies and children in daycare and kindergarten will nap outside unless it gets too cold. Too cold meaning below -10 degrees Celsius - that's 14 degrees Fahrenheit! I was a bit surprised when I started to learn more about outdoor kindergarten in Norway, but I had no idea about this!

I just HAD to follow her outside to see how this was done. Eirin explained to me the benefits of children napping outdoors during the day - they sleep better in cool air, it teaches them to sleep during the day when the sun is out, fresh air is good for the child, and it's a way for them to sleep without their parents - yes, children are unaccompanied during their naps. All good reasons to allow a small child to nap.

She also explained sleeping outdoors is done in all types of weather. She shown me a rain proof cover she'd place on the carriage when it's rainy and told me there's a different type of cover to use when it's snowy and windy.

When comparing Norwegians and Americans as a whole, I think Norwegians are much more relaxed and optimistic, but also more naive as well. That extends with how parents approach their children as well. I think Norwegian children are possibly more independent and allowed to do more without parental supervision - which could be either good or bad. American parents keep their children on shorter leashes, so to speak and  are possibly more protective and worry or fear things beyond their control happening to their children - again, this could be both good or bad. I don't think there's really a right or wrong answer here.

Eirin and I talked about how practicing something like letting your little one sleep outdoors would go in America - quite possibly a neighborly call to the Child Protective Services, but here in Norway it's common. All the reasons for doing it make perfect sense, though the idea of taking your child outside so they can nap sounds a little harsh from an outsider point of view. The more I think about the practice of children napping outdoors the more I think it's a really great idea and a shame it's not done in more parts of the world other than Nordic countries.
Of course I had to go out and take a picture! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations