Norskkurs

Though I'm only in school 17 hours a week, I feel like learning the language is consuming a lot more of my time as I do a lot of reading and writing and trying to speak Norwegian to my husband at least outside of school. I'm really trying to put my entire self into this, so I'm giving this language learning a lot of energy.

I enjoy going to class, I love it really, but I am so frustrated because I feel like I'm so limited in everything. Every day this week I've cried and sobbed to my husband over my frustration and it usually goes something like, "I don't understand why I can't understand what people say!? I have to ask people to repeat everything or speak slower! What's wrong with me!?" or, "Ugh, I have to get away from words today... English, Norweigan, whatever."

I've never been so nervous, anxious, upset or frustrated about anything academic related before, so why now? I'm not even getting graded on these language classes. I've even worried myself sick (literally) earlier this week over a test. In college, I took Japanese to fulfill my requirements for a foreign language and I was never bothered to take it and Japanese is nothing like English - unlike Norwegian, which is a cousin language.

Of course, I've only been in class 4 weeks. That's only 68 of the required 600 hours. It takes time to learn a language, you're going to get discouraged, but that's part of it. In hopes of battling my discouragement, I've decided I want to play Guess Who this weekend, but only in Norwegian. I'm sure there will be a lot of asking, "Hva betyr *beard* på norsk?" "What means *beard* in Norwegian?" The word for beard is "skjegg", but it's just an example. I think games like that would help someone learn a language. Something else I've been doing in order to force myself to think in Norwegian and put thoughts together to form sentences is everyday writing a random note to my husband, something like, "Jeg elsker deg og kyr. Ha en god dag." "I love you and cows. Have a good day."

There is also a website I've been visiting, Children's Norwegian Site, it's made for children, but I find it extremely helpful especially when you mix learning a language with pictures of dinosaurs or something. :-)

Guess Who?
I think this would be a great game to play if you're trying to learn
nouns and adjectives.  
The norskkurs (Norwegian Course) I'm in is not only helpful in teaching Norwegian to adults, but it's also helpful in integrating people into Norwegian society. We go on walks and trips to places occasionally. Yesterday, we had a scavenger hunt where we went into the city center to find places to answer questions. For example, "What is the name of the statue in ----- park?" or "Which movies are coming soon to Skien cinema?" and we'd have to go to these places to answer the questions.

A beautiful, crisp fall day to walk around the city. 

This here is a statue based from a Henrik Ibsen play. Skien, Norway is the city Ibsen
was born, raised and a lot of his plays were thought to be based on his life and Skien.
This statue is "Lille Eyolf" or "Little Eyolf" in English. 



"Lille Eyolf" is a statue, but she's also a slide as well. She has
about 5,000 ceramic eyes on her which all have been made by children in Skien. 

Some friends from class. 

I've walked passed this so many times and I've always thought
it was a photo booth. It's not - it's another toilet you have to pay
to use!!!!! 

Comments

Natalia said…
HI! Im moving to Oslo at the end of january and i am attending to norwegian classes here which i ll like to continue there. What i see is that most courses are pretty expensive. Do you know about any course that its not so expensive?

Thank you!
Natalia
Evelyn Sand said…
The Norwegian classes are expensive unless you have your residency permit approved. Once approved they are free. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations