Fastelavnsboller (Don't worry Americans, I can't pronounce it either!)

I was looking at holiday recipes in my Norsk cookbook and found an Easter dessert. I had to see what it looked like so I went here ---> Fastelavnsboller (Fastelavn Buns) and it's similar to a chocolate eclair I'm assuming.

There is a recipe on the link, but I'll post the one from the book as well. What I like about this particular cookbook, Tastes & Tales of Norway is that the author ties in a lot of stories of Norsk culture and history as to why certain foods are popular. What's interesting is a lot of popular Norsk foods were what fueled Vikings and it's just kind of stuck with the culture.

I found this very interesting and I have to mention the history of this dessert as the book states, "Easter is a time for fastelavns...Children celebrate fastelavns the only day of year when they are allowed to spank their parents. They tie birch branches and colorful feathers together for the spanking." (Tastes & Tales of Norway, S.Doub 2002) Granted, I doubt in modern day Norway this occurs. :-)

Here's the recipe from the book:
Ingredients:
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cardamom
4 c. all purpose flour
1 c. butter
4 tbsp. (4 packets) yeast
2 c. whole milk (lukewarm)
beaten egg or whole milk

Ingredients for filling:
1 c. heavy cream
2 tbsp. chopped almonds
2 tbsp. sugar
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt

1) Mix sugar, cardamom, and flour. Crumble butter into mixture.
2) Add yeast to lukewarm milk a little at a time. Add flour to mixture. Knead dough well for 15 min. Cover and set aside to rise for 30 min.
3) Knead dough again. Separate into about 20 round balls. Cover and set aside to rise again for 30 min.
4) Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush each ball with a beaten egg or milk. Bake for 20-30 min. Remove from oven and turn off oven.
5) Whip cream, almonds, sugar, egg yolks, and salt together until thick.
6) Cut the rolls in half and place 1 tbsp of filling in the center of each roll. Return to the still-warm oven for 10 minutes.
(Tastes & Tales of Norway, S.Doub 2002)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations