In the Words of Donald Duck !#@$@#!&*#$&%!

I recently had an idea for helping me learn the language. I thought reading Norwegian children's books would benefit me. After a conversation with Arild where we were discussing the names of Disney characters and comparing their English and Norwegian names, he was explaining to me how Donald Duck is more popular than Mickey Mouse in Scandinavia. Which I've read about the popularity in Scandinavia of Donald Duck comics written by Don Rosa (a Kentucky native!) so I am already familiar with this.

Arild as a child reading these comics on a beach in Denmark.

He told me some childhood stories of how his dad would buy a Donald Duck comic once a week for he and his younger brother to read and they'd fight over who got to read it first. He also told me he used to fall asleep reading Donald Duck comics in bed throughout the week.

So the two ideas clicked. Reading something simple like Norsk children's books to help me learn the language and something I'm already familiar with (Donald Duck) being written in another language I'm trying to learn. Yes, that's right! Donald Duck comics are on the summer reading list! Oh yeah! :-)

Comments

Arild B. Sand said…
I'll give you some awesome Don Rosa stories to read!
Paige said…
The Donald Duck Christmas special is apparently a HUGE deal in Sweden.
Evelyn Sand said…
The past 2 Christmas Eves Arild and I have watched a Disney special which has been on TV since he was a kid. He says it's time to celebrate Christmas once that program is over. Maybe this is the same thing or similar?
Arild B. Sand said…
I think it's the same tradition, yeah!

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations