First Sunburn of the Year (and maybe last)

I'm trying so hard to concentrate on a paper due Thursday, but my mind is in no way wanting to write about child abuse in the media right now. The classes I take are interesting (Relationship and Family Violence for example) and always have been, but some are extremely realistic and with that comes a lot of sadness as you know there are people who are involved and live in these situations. I am itching to write though (and think happy thoughts) so I'll just write a quick blog here for now!

Today was a great day and I have to say, I love rural Kentucky scenery! It's most certainly the beginning of spring though we've been having summer-like temperatures (minus all the dreadful humidity!). A few weeks ago I was taking pictures of cherry blossoms and now everything is extremely green. Birds are chirping at 5 in the morning. And I wake up having to turn on the air-conditioner.

If ever given the chance to drive through Kentucky I suggest rural areas just simply because it has more of a stereotypical Kentucky feel to it.

Mood music for savoring a drive sight seeing is of course fitting to say anything by Mumford and Sons. Just put their music on shuffle and enjoy the sounds of some great folk rock and sights of old, worn barns, white fences, well kept lawns, cows who double Kentucky's human population, and horses who live in better homes than their owners.

And you can get a good laugh at the names of roads and streets and even small town names. I think Kentucky is a great example of this... Skulbuster is the name of one town, but there are many roads and places for whatever strange reason with the word "lick" in them.

 Of course Arild commented on this and he totally wanted to get married at the future "Pope Lick Park" right beside "Pope Lick Road" which is near "Freedom's Way." His first trip to Kentucky was a fun one because I'd be driving and hear him burst into laughter and he'd say, "You seriously have a street named POPE LICK!?!?! POPE. LICK. WHY would someone name a street that?"  His guess is as good as mine. :-)

There's also a place in Kentucky called "Sugar Tit" and "Flippin, KY"  and even "Hell for Certain Road." I'd love to go into deeper detail with names of places, but it's sort of difficult without laughing in light hearted guttered mind. It just makes you really wonder WHY or HOW people decided to name these places and streets and WHAT were they thinking about?

There's also a Paris, London, Bagdad, Versailles, and New York in Kentucky. All places of towns.

 In summer, forget listening to music as the sounds of locusts and cicadas drown out everything. In rural Kentucky if you're in a traffic jam it's most likely because there's a tractor holding up traffic. That or an Amish buggy. For some this is a minor frustration, but for me it's enjoyable nonetheless especially now. :-)

While driving and enjoying the sights and sounds, I managed my first sunburn of the year! I don't think I'll be seeing TOO much hot weather and excessive sunlight in the future, so I'm enjoying this effortless sunburn while I can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations