Language Worries

Just a quick post as I'm in the middle of exams, papers, projects, work, etc. etc. and hyped up on chocolate cake and my first Mountain Dew in like a year!

I've recently read a blog of an expat who dropped from language classes. Arild also told me a story someone told him at work of an American woman who was deported because she refused to take her required language classes. In her situation, she and her husband remained married, but lived in different countries.

In some ways this worries me. Will I give up too? Will I lack motivation? Are the classes really that hard? Do I have the ability to learn a foreign language? In other ways, I just want to smack these people with a Norwegian language book and tell them, "What's the matter with you? Learn this stuff!"

I really think this is partially because everyone going into Norway knows the majority are fluent in English and maybe think they don't have to learn a new language. I do not want to be that person. If I slip into that mindset I want my butt kicked and turned back around into the right direction. I'm sure I'll be speaking English in the beginning, and possibly even responding to Norwegian conversations in English if I understand the Norwegian being spoken to me, and then I think I'll be comfortable enough trying out Norwegian or who knows, this may not even happen at all, I may just get up the confidence to speak the little broken Norwegian I know.  However, when kids come into the picture, I'll speak nothing but English to them and use English only in the home, but use Norsk when out and about.

I also have a hard time wrapping my head around this. Maybe some immigrants don't quite realize what they're getting themselves into? Since I've met Arild I've been studying Norwegian culture, the language (when I can), reading up on this and that, telling him Norwegian history he doesn't even know, downloading book after book after book on Norway. If I'm making a huge life change I want to know EXACTLY what I'm getting myself into. I only think this is beneficial for the adjustment of any immigrant.

I've had another dream in well, not Norwegian, but kroner at least. I often dream of shopping! The best part is buying a bunch of clothes and spending no money! Dream shopping is the best kind of shopping! :-) This time I was in a store and I saw advertisement posters in the windows which said 79kr. It's just interesting to be having dreams like this and understanding the currency at least.

I have to add this link which I've been playing around with today. I actually was introduced to this from the gentleman who holds the Louisville Speaks Scandinavian meetings, which due to working late, I missed this month's meeting! Darn! So far today I've only completed 2 lessons and to my surprise it feels like a review for me, so I at least know some Norwegian is sinking in. :-)

Live Mocha  <---- This is a great site to sign up and use! It helps you visually by showing you pictures of the words or phrases, you can listen to how things are pronounced and spelled, and best of all it's more interactive than sitting down with a book and trying to figure this stuff out on your own!

Comments

Keith Brooks said…
I think you are well on your way! I agree, I would never want to be one of those immigrants who moves to another country and never bothers to learn the primary language. But I think you are pursing your Norwegian goals in the right manner. And you have a great source in Arild! I'm glad Livemocha has been helpful, too!

I look forward to seeing you before you leave! You will be missed without a doubt, but I look forward to reading about your life there and maybe speaking with you and Arild in Norwegian in the future! Let me know if I can help you with anything!

-Keith
forcryeye said…
I was so intriqued by your post! It astounds me how my ancestors came here from Norway, and learned to speak English, but there is a mentality here now that we should learn the immigrants language. I am of course speaking of Spanish. If I understand your post correctly, you are saying in order to immigrate you must learn Norwegian? I think that is completely acceptable, and a beautiful way to preserve the language! Kudos to you! You can learn the language! YOu are embracing your new culture, and the language will flow to you! Thanks for sharing! Now, if only I had learned Norwegian instead of German! :)
Evelyn Sand said…
Thanks, Keith and your handout sheet at the meeting has been helpful! I know I'll keep myself busy this summer with building on the language! :-) Thanks so much, you've been incredibly helpful!!!!!

forcryeye, takk! The majority of jobs in Norway require a person to be fluent in Norwegian, yes. So it only makes sense for there to be language requirements for immigrants. As it should be. :-) The hours for the language classes for immigrants have now been increased from 300 to 600 hours. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, but thanks for being interested in my blog! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations