"Lilyhammer"

A quick update on a show that is now aired on Netflix, "Lilyhammer" Lillehammer or "Lilyhammer" as we Americans pronounce it. It is a city in Norway, by the way and if you're familiar with The Sopranos (I know. I know. That HBO show about the Italian mafia or something?) Steven Van Zandt stars in it. I watched the first episode last night and I can't make a judgement on it yet, but it does hold some interest for me since 1) it's located in Norway and 2) it will help with my language learning and 3)it shows A LOT of Norwegian culture and this can be good and bad because well, good as in you can see aspects of the country, interests of the people, etc and bad because well, it maintains an outdated view of Norway for its American viewers. I'll go back and watch the 2nd episode of course. :-)

There are few differences between Norwegian and American TV. They watch American TV shows, thankfully and they also have their own Norwegian channels as well. So with my TV life, I'll experience no culture shock at all. During my stay, we watched a fair share of 1000 Ways to Die, Myth Busters and Big Bang Theory. All American shows are shown with Norwegian subtitles, so this will only aid me in learning the language. :-)

And one more thing....CENSORSHIP! There is none. Well, little to none. So F-bombs are dropped with ease. This quite possibly reflects their relaxed culture. It's a good thing I'm not uptight. :-) I started listening to Norwegian radio, which again is very very similar and songs aren't censored on the radio either, so you don't get to hear added sound effects or similar, but different words in place of its original word, like frick for example! :-) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations