Parental Benefits

Phew! I'm needing to take a break from my parenting class! I'd almost say that it is the most difficult class I've ever had. As it should be of course, parenting is the most difficult job in the world I'd imagine. I've decided to take this class as an elective because I think it would be beneficial. Only recently I've decided I actually want to have children one of these days and although my friends daily posts on facebook about cleaning up poo off the floor and terrible two's deserving its rightful name sometimes sounds downright horrible, I'm 100% certain this is something I can't live without experiencing for myself.  I've had classes concerning marriage, family, and now I've decided to take an elective in parenting strategies. In reading textbooks surrounding these topics I've noticed a lot of talk about two countries in particular being great when it comes to support in these areas; those countries being Norway and Japan. I've found that interesting and when Arild first told me about the parental rights he knew off the top of his head I was shocked and even more so when I started researching well, everything.

Where America is number one in the world when it comes to largest economy and strongest military, I do think it's a common complaint from many Americans experiencing parenthood that our government, work, society, etc. doesn't support them enough. Their complaints are just a reflection of statistics that show American development is lacking when it comes to family support. I hear parents, children, children of elderly parents complain almost daily of something related to this issue whether it be problems with maternity leave, health care, education, clashing work/ school schedules with home life, daycare and nursing homes all of which effects family life.

To compare, you can view parental benefits below:
Link to Parental Benefits in Norway

Enough talk about people who CAN have children, let's talk about those with fertility issues. In recent news, Norwegian government has agreed to pay the majority of fertility treatment costs and for IVF (in vitro fertilization) this will be publicly funded for up to 3 tries. I absolutely hate stating facts and stats without a valid source, but I CANNOT find this article I read stating this! As soon as I find it again it will definitely be on here! :-) However, in the article what really intrigued me the most was this the point they made: the government already helps those that can have children, so it's time they help those that can't. I really like that mentality.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations