Norwenglish

Great, but very delayed news! We now have a venue for the wedding and have started on invitations, looking at wedding readings and I'm now working on setting up a date for getting my dress altered which will hopefully be the same date as Stella's international move check up. :-) YES!!!!!
One room of the southern styled home we're renting for the wedding reception. 

Two things I want to bring up, one being my comfort level at my new home and the second, flu shots. Oh well let's make that three; my first dream in "Norwegian."

It was a strange experience entering my new home, which Arild recorded. I've seen it multiple times on Skype, so I already knew the layout, but I was extremely comfortable and felt right at home once I was there. Perhaps it was because I already made my mark before entering with all my junk that's already there. Not to mention a few pandas here and there. A sure sign I've personalized my "territory." He has soccer or sorry, football this and that and I have pandas. They're only the cutest animals on this planet after all! Usually when I go to someone else's home I have a hard time fully relaxing, sleeping, etc. but no problem whatsoever with this experience. :-)

I've been talking to Arild about how I'd like to get a flu shot this year after I move and he was quite certain that you had to be in a special "risk" category (pregnant, diabetic, or any type of chronic illness) to get one, otherwise you'd have to pay. Well, he looked it up and he was right and the price for a flu shot is a little under $100! I'm a bit confused about this myself and I tried to search some results on this topic with them being a country with universal healthcare, but my luck begins and ends with articles on the swine flu outbreak in spring of 2009. I'm rarely sick, but it always helps to be cautious and now it looks like I'll be paranoid and preparing for flu for the first time since I was 4!!!! :-/

The other night I dreamt in "Norwegian." Now, I understand about 1% of what is spoken unless it's from the language CDs I listen to in which I understand almost everything since they talk slower and enunciate on every word. Oh and that 1% by the way, is numbers. If nothing else, at least I understand every number spoken in Norwegian for whatever reason. So my dream was just some gibberish in the tone Norwegian is spoken. I was walking around here and there with Arild in the dream and everyone surrounding us was talking and of course I had to ask him to translate for me. When I told him about the basic parts of my dream he assured me it was probably just a memory until I reassured him weird stuff happened like finding a Pizza Hut in Norway and eating bread sticks with a cousin, bumping into an aunt at the place Arild was having taxes filled out and she complains to a Norwegian lady that the air freshener in the office smells horrible and not understanding the Norwegian spoken back to her, Arild and I watching a moving about tornadoes and a little girl left in the weather gets impaled with debris, oh and while we're out and about in my dream we also stop by a store that sold voodoo dolls. Welcome to a typical night in my subconscious! :-)
Back to the language topic, I think Norwegian has a very similar if not the same tone as English when spoken. It's certainly not a "harsh" spoken language we think of when we imagine something like Russian. Overall, I think the language is pleasant. Same spoken tone as English, the extra letters Å, Æ, Ø was a bit intimidating when I first noticed them, and for the most part words are very similar. There are certain pronunciations that are different of course. For instance there are rolling R's which for the life of me I can't pronounce! I have heard that this is very VERY common for English speaking people and if you can train yourself to do it, great! If not, then you probably continuously sound like a pirate like I do when I try practicing this. Arrrrrrrr!!!!! :-) Another pronunciation I noticed is sometimes there is this "L" sound I can't even begin to describe, but I also think this might be a form of dialect. One of the first things I also noticed is that "J" is mostly, if not always pronounced as a "Y." Ja! However, language no longer worries me. I have heard from many many people the language is very easy to learn and the language classes may frustrate some English speaking immigrants because they feel the pace and learning is too slow. Lately I have been trying to incorporate the words I know in Norwegian into sentences I write to Arild in English. We call this Norwenglish and that I am fluent in! :-) Language is a fun topic for me to ramble on about, but I think I'll stop here or else I'll go on for days with this! :-)                                                                                                                        


Why Norwegian is the Easiest Language for English Speakers to Learn <------ Link explaining why Norwegian is easy for English speakers to learn.



Ha det bra og god natt! :-) ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ............

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations