Hæ?!?!?!

I am having the hardest time understanding spoken Norwegian. Written Norwegian - fine. Reading Norwegian - fine. Pronunciation - fine. Spoken - HÆ!?!?!? (Hæ? is the equivalent of Huh? and in my opinion isn't the most pleasant sounding words in the Norwegian vocabulary)

I have been studying quite a bit on my own and I'm listening to a lot of Norwegian and when I'm studying alone it's fine. In fact, I'm almost finished with everything Live Mocha has to offer. I think the reason is because everything is spoken slower. Once finished with Live Mocha, I'm moving onto a book Arild got me a while back. Beginner's Norwegian is the book and I posted a link with it, so if anyone is interested can check it out. I'm quite sure he didn't pay that much for it as it's listed on Amazon. I'll be picking this book up soon again.

If I'm out somewhere and hear people talk I can catch a couple of spoken words if I'm lucky. What I almost never have a problem with is numbers when spoken. I really try to carefully pay attention to what is being spoken, but I often find myself zoning out of other's conversations. I can tell I've made improvement in reading and writing, but not so much with understanding spoken Norwegian and I think that will be the biggest challenge for me.

I had Arild test me with this and made him speak slower simple questions and sentences and I did fine. I understood everything and was actually able to reply back to him.

Hopefully there will be a time when I cross that barrier of understanding slow spoken Norwegian and not understanding anything at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations