The Waffle Disaster and Other Things

Last semester in one of my classes, we were discussing family rituals and traditions and had to write a paper on our personal family traditions, rituals and what have you and what we'd like to continue. I don't think there are many traditions in the family, but one thing I loved was during the week breakfast was mostly cereal, but on Sunday my mom would fix a huge breakfast and she'd cook whatever I wanted.
This is something I want to do. Every Sunday cook something for breakfast.

 Anyways, last Sunday I decided to wake up and cook waffles. I know Arild likes waffles and I do too, so it seemed like a good idea. Last Sunday they turned out okay and we had waffles with butter and sugar and rolled them up. A bit different than how we eat waffles in America. Here the waffles are made thinner and can be rolled up. In America, we want butter and maple syrup smothering our waffles! Oh yeah! :-) WHERE can I find maple syrup, by the way?

This Sunday, I decided to do the same. Everything went okay at first, but I didn't pour enough batter into the waffle maker and Arild came into the kitchen to help and laughed as I had flour on my forehead and all over my clothes. So, Arild helped me out and said, "We used to make waffles in school." He kept pouring batter in the waffle maker and when I asked, "Are you sure that's not too much?" we put the lid down on the waffle maker and batter overflowed.

Then a fuse had blown. He checked the fuses and we figured out it was the waffle maker.

So I decided to make pancakes from the waffle batter. Bad idea. After getting frustrated and using 2 separate pans to make pancakes because it just turned to inedible blobs, I decided to give up. Nothing was turning out right. He grabbed lefse and I went for cereal. I'll try again next Sunday. :-)

                                                   

                                                      The Other Things

Anyways, later today Arild had shown me this article which I found interesting. It's just from an immigrant's point of view on some of the common myths about Norway like it being so expensive, how the people are "cold" and even the myth of people being unhappy because it's such a dark place. (Whomever said that has obviously never been here in the summer!!!) ---> 3 Myths About Norway


My mind is at ease knowing I've finally figured out what kind of bird I see around here all the time aside from seagulls! It's a magpie and from what I've read (not that birds are really that interesting to me or anything) they're in the same family as the crow.


I do have some questions about food... besides maple syrup, where can I find parmesan cheese and where can I find alfredo sauce?  Can hummingbirds be found in Norway?
I know names of plants and animals are sometimes very
different in Norwegian and English so here's a picture!

Another interesting thing I've found.... Norwegian Monopoly! It's played in kroner instead of dollars and you purchase actual cities in Norway, like Bergen and Oslo.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi, welcome to the east side of the pond.
I buy Vermont maple syrup at times (like it on my norwegian pancakes with bananas and bacon, yummy), it's generally not to be found in the smaller grocery stores, but the bigger ones tend to have it.

Parmesan cheese, yes, though if you want the good stuff, again, tiny stores != good.

No humming birds, the smallest bird in Norway is the Fuglekonge (bird king, so named because of the crown/lightning on its head) http://blaavandfuglestation.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/img_2878.jpg

I've never seen Monopol Norge before, looks potentially fun (especially if you play with people from different cities), the version I've played with before had different streets in Oslo.

Hope you find the myths to be myths for you too and have a great time.

RHR
Evelyn Sand said…
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it! :-)
Anonymous said…
Lovely post and really nice article. I have just come back from Norway myself and glad I can understand why myths are just that! Last time I was in Norway was 8 years ago and I full heartedly have fallen.in love with that country. For now I am in the UK, but preparing myself for when I will be able to go there too to live.

Lovely blog - I am a new fan! Thanks for your post. Viktoria
Evelyn Sand said…
Thanks for your interest in the blog! =D I just recently moved here, so I'm still experiencing a lot myself. Norway is an extremely beautiful place. I absolutely love it here for the most part. So happy to hear of your interest in Norway!!!!! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations