The World's Most Expensive (But Happy) Cat

Strange how people can have so much love
for a little ball of fur! 
I've written about my cat and the difficulties of getting her from Kentucky to Norway. I've been asked many many questions about doing this, so I'll just write an entire blog post on importing cats to Norway since I feel I may be an expert at this now. Just kidding, of course! :-)

I will say importing a pet from America to Norway is tedious and expensive. I think Stella had a total of 4 vet visits for vaccines and check ups prior to departure. Each of them costing me around $200. The vaccines must be given to the pet at certain times, so there's only a certain time span some vaccines can be given to the pet. Microchipping and a check-up was the first thing we had to do and that had to be done a few months before leaving. In between 5-10 days of departure we had to have her last check up. To make sure things were done right and instead of waiting on the USDA seal of approval from Frankfort, KY to come in the mail, Arild and I took a trip there ourselves. To get the seal cost $40.

In our situation, we had two flights. One from Louisville to Newark and the other from Newark to Oslo. I had to contact the airport and speak with PetSafe  who is in charge of "in cargo" animals on flights. I really didn't want her traveling as cargo, but had no choice from Newark to Oslo. From Louisville to Newark, she had to ride in cabin with me. That was what I preferred and then there was the price for her to be on the plane with me. $120 for the first flight riding in cabin. I had to prepay that. The other charge was to PetSafe who doesn't take the money until you're there in their office at the airport. That was $560.  Here's another twist to this... since we had her in cabin and if we were looking to save a bit of money, we couldn't anyways because of the type of plane we were on during the first flight. (PetSafe requires animals to be in planes with temperature and pressure controlled rooms and if the plane you're on doesn't have that, you have no choice but to keep them in-cabin and pay the difference.) Considering we had her in-cabin during the first flight we had to have a soft bag which could be fitted under the seat. However, we had to purchase a new crate once we got to the PetSafe office in Newark. This cost us another $90 and it doesn't end there...

PetSafe has a ton of rules and regulations all for the pet's benefit of course. Before our flight I was on the phone with them at least once or twice a week, sometimes more. Each time I was on hold for an hour. Each time I talked to someone different who gave me different answers to my questions.

The day before departure, I wanted to make sure everything was okay. We really didn't need anything going wrong then. I woke up early that morning and gave PetSafe a call to ensure they have recieved all the paperwork my vet had faxed to them. When I was told, no and told  I should call my vet and have her fax Stella's papers again. So my vet did. I called PetSafe back and after another hour of waiting and being told no, they still haven't received Stella's papers, what little bit of a temper I have began to fly. We were leaving in less than 24 hours and me bringing Stella with me depended on them receiving her papers so they may inform Oslo and be prepared for her arrival. After talking to the second person who told me they never received anything, I asked them what I can do to make sure they do and I was getting quite angry so I shouted into the phone "All I want to do is make sure my cat is with me and arrives safely in Oslo. Please tell me what I need to do since everyone gives me different answers and all I need is for things to go smoothly tomorrow!!!" So I went to a UPS store and had them scan and email Stella's papers. Keep in mind, this was our day before leaving so a midst all of this, I was having my utilities to my apartment shut off and well, to make matters worse, I had to use my GPS to find my internet provider, which sent me 30 minutes out of the way. Not to the internet company, but to a "psychic's" home in the middle of nowhere. Arild found this extremely hilarious, but me being in a bad mood already hmm... not so much. I do think it's quite funny now though.

Finally we met up with my mom to say our goodbyes (and to celebrate my birthday) and that afternoon I finally called PetSafe back and after being on hold 45 minutes, then talking to a person who says they couldn't find the e-mail, who then also put me on hold for another 45 minutes before finding it. Everything was taken care of. FINALLY!!! The last person I talked to told me the reason they never received a fax was because their fax machines have been down for 4 days. (The first person I talked to couldn't have told me that?)

When we arrived in Newark and went to the PetSafe office, I asked where in Oslo we'd pick her up and the gentleman helping us told us he didn't know. Great... We just assumed she'd be special luggage.

When arriving in Oslo, I went to special luggage to pick up Stella and I waited and waited and waited and when I began to panic, and muttering, "Those idiots lost my cat!" Arild went asking people. He couldn't find anyone with the answers at first so he went back and finally someone told him flights to Oslo from United Airlines with special luggage do not come to the airport, they go to another place. We got our directions, went to the car and drove to this place. We paid them $50 for having to do paperwork and went to customs so they can ask me questions about my intentions with Stella before they let me have her. I had to pretty much say, "No, there's nothing special about her, she's just a stray cat who was found in a WalMart parking lot when she was as big as my palm and I just love the little ball of fur." I have no intention to breed her, put her in pet shows, nothing. She's just part of our little family.

We went back to the place called Roadfeeders, I signed some papers, then we were told where her location was where we drove a bit down the road to another place and they said, "Oh you're here to pick up the cat?" I filled out more papers, while I was finally able to see Stella again and wow, that was such a relief knowing she was finally okay.

She slept most of the ride home. I figured she'd be exhausted. My vet had told me since it's prohibited to give animals sedatives for long flights, she would be scared and breathing heavy, but she would be in a subdued mode where her pupils would dilate and she'd hunch down and pull her ears back, but be in a calm state instead of panicked. And she was right. That is exactly how Stella was in the airports and on the first flight at least.

We got her home and she was scared to come out of the cage, but we managed to get her out and I gave her some of her favorite treats and got her settled in. It didn't take her long to fall asleep, so I'm assuming she didn't sleep much if any on the plane.

About a week later, I received another bill. This I'm hoping is the final bill. It was for $160 and it was for officials to do paperwork on her.

I wouldn't recommend traveling with a pet and I certainly wouldn't recommend moving abroad with one unless you're very willing to spend the money on them and you can't live without them. The way I personally look at it though is this - a pet is a lifetime commitment, if you're going to have one you should treat it fairly and care for it for the duration of it's life. So, bringing Stella with me really didn't require much thought at all. The thought of leaving her in Kentucky never crossed my mind. I think it's my duty to see she gets the best life possible. I see her as more of a family member or a friend, just a little more hairier. :-)
During her first walk outside in Norway.
The important thing is I have her with me. She's happy as ever and she's arrived safely. She enjoys spending her time sitting in the sunny parts of the balcony and looking out windows when she's not napping. You know, she's an important cat who does important things after all. :-)
She was a bit scared to go in the grass
her first walk here, so we had to hold her.


Looking about and getting fresh air.
Napping and snuggling with a duck Arild gave her. She's
had a busy day learning Norwegian. ;-) 

She's on a mission... 

Here are some sites which may come in handy if interested in exporting your furbaby: 

Comments

Julie said…
wow Stella is a beauty :-)
Evelyn Sand said…
Thank you, I am one proud cat mom! :-)
B said…
I plan on taking my kitty Kena with us. I really plan on taking her on the cabin with me if possible. Again, thanks for sharing!

Popular posts from this blog

Expat Life

The Dyne

Movie Title Translations